Sanity Effects are a gameplay aspect of Eternal Darkness.
How it works
As the character in the game sees the monsters, their Sanity Meter depletes, causing them to hallucinate, seeing things like a windows blue screen come up, when the Sanity Effect is over, it is represented by a white flash, after which the main character says something along the lines of "This can't be happening!". If the Sanity Meter runs out completely, then your health depletes, as you've already run out of Sanity.
Usually, if a sanity effect is present, then you will not be able to escape.
The sanity effects come in several varieties, sometimes affecting the screen, character, or enviroment.
- Your character will turn into a zombie until the character dies.
- Trying to use a spell will result in implosion, this does not kill a character, though.
- The character will lose limbs slowly.
- The character will shrink or grow.
- Sometimes the screen will take up a sepia tone.
- A windows blue screen will pop up sometimes.
- The enviroment will be upside down.
- The character will sink into the ground as if it's quicksand.
- Near the end of the game, if you are not careful avoiding the unnamed beast, the screen will take up a sepia tone, but you will not be able to escape from the room, requiring you to heal your sanity.